A unique structure that keeps some of the Nation's most important memories
Built in 1890 by Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa,ruler of Abu Dhabi between 1,855 and 1,909, Al Jahili fort is one of the biggest and oldest forts in the UAE. Originally built as the summer residence of the ruler and his family, it went through several stages in which it even became home to British Forces during the early 1950s.
Between 2006 and 2008 the fort, located in Al Ain, underwent an important renovation that restored it from the state of abandonment it had been during several decades and turned it into a permanent museum tribute to explorer, writer and photographer Wilfred Thesiger. The travel writer had become personal friend of Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al Nahyan,and visited the fort several times during the decade of 1940, time during which crossed the Empty Quarter twice.
Apart from improving the overall appearance of the building, the refurbishment also enhanced the building’s natural climate control with cold water pipers able to maintain internal temperature around 22 degrees even in the hottest summer months.
In 2010, Al Jahili fort received the International Architecture Award by the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design, and the European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies.
For all of those that seek to get immersed into the history and local traditions of the UAE, Al Jahili Fort is an obliged visit. Visitors will not only get to know the past of the region through a collection of pictures and objects, but will also understand how was life for those who lived in the oasis and the Bedouin way of life.
Plan your visit to Abu Dhabi to fully experience the magical sights and sounds of the capital of the UAE. Stay at Beach Rotana for a memorable experience!
You can also be interested in:
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque - A beautiful spiritual retreat.
- UAE Pavilion - An art gallery like no other.
- Yas Marina Circuit - An unmissable visit for speed lovers.
- Abu Dhabi Heritage Village - Discover the local culture through the original settlers of the UAE.
- Abu Dhabi Traditional Souks - Find traditional crafts, buy souvenirs for your loved ones and test your bargaining skills at the local markets that populate the city.
- Abu Dhabi Corniche - One of the city's most popular spots of the city for tourists and residents alike.